Our roots

The MPI CEC is a pioneering young institute, which is just starting out. But its new beginnings do not mean that we have not already left a footprint in the world of research. It is far more the case that our new institute can build on a past rich in successful research work. What began as a separate department of the Max Planck Institute for Coal Research has grown in just a few years into an independent MPI with its own research focus. Come with us on a journey from the MPI CEC's new start back to our research roots!

1957 - today

2015

For the second time the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion was awarded a prize by the Max Planck Society for its outstanding education of vocational trainees. The institute was chosen for this prize because of its unique training concept and dedicated trainers.

2012

The formal announcement by the President of the Max Planck Society at its Annual Assembly in 2012 marks the start of excellent research work at the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion.

2011

October

On a proposal by the staff council, Professor Dr. Robert Schlögl is appointed Managing Director of the Max Planck Institute for Bioinorganic Chemistry.

July

We are pleased to welcome our institute's new director! Professor Frank Neese is appointed as Director of the MPI for Bioinorganic Chemistry as well as Scientific Member of the Max Planck Society. The MPI for Bioinorganic Chemistry goes from strength to strength: Professor Dr. Robert Schlögl is appointed Director of one of the departments.

2010

August

Professor Dr. Karl Wieghardt retires and becomes an emeritus professor.

2009

Excellent work is being performed in the area of training at the MPI for Bioinorganic Chemistry! That's what the Max Planck Society thinks and awards our institute for our staff's outstanding achievements.

2008

Something to celebrate: 50 years of research on Stiftstraße!

2006

The Ernst Haage Foundation is launched. Each year, the Foundation awards outstanding achievements by young researchers and fosters young scientists. In addition, our best apprentices are also awarded each year. The Ernst Haage Foundation makes all this possible - Thank you!

2003

The MPI for Radiation Chemistry becomes the MPI for Bioinorganic Chemistry.

2000

Professor Dr. Wolfgang Lubitz is appointed as new director of our institute and joins the circle of Scientific Members of the Max Planck Society. The focus of his research work lies in the biophysical chemistry and spectroscopy of metal proteins.

1999

Professor Schaffner retires and becomes an emeritus professor.

1998

We're 40 now! We celebrate our 40th birthday with a commemorative colloquium and a poster exhibition.

1996

On a proposal by the staff council, Professor Stephen J. Lippard is appointed as External Scientific Member of the Max Planck Society.

1995

Launch of the annual commemorative lecture "Frontiers in Biological Chemistry"

1994

Professor Dr. Karl Wieghardt is appointed as Director of our institute and Scientific Member of the Max Planck Society.

1992

Professor Dr. Dietrich Schulte-Frohlinde retires and becomes an emeritus professor.

1987

Professor Dr. Oskar E. Polansky retires and becomes an emeritus professor.

1983

25th anniversary of our institute! The topic of "Energy" has always been important to us! That's why we installed and put into operation a unit to recover energy from waste air as long ago as 1983.

1981

Professor Dr. Günther O. Schenck retires and becomes an emeritus professor.

May

The Max Planck Institute for Radiation Chemistry evolves out of the Institute for Radiation Chemistry within the Max Planck Institute for Coal Research.

1976 - 1978

Sustainability has a long tradition at our institute: Installation of a pilot plant for environmentally friendly heat recovery on the roof of the institute.

1976

Professor Dr. Kurt Schaffner is appointed as Scientific Member of the Max Planck Society and as Director of our institute at the same time.

1973

We are renamed: Institute for Radiation Chemistry at the Max Planck Institute for Coal Research.

1970

Appointment of Professor Dr. Dietrich Schulte-Frohlinde as Scientific Member of the Max Planck Society and Executive Director of the institute. Furthermore Professor Polansky accepts the appointment as Director of our institute.

1968

Professor Dr. Günther O. Schenck withdraws as Director for severe health reasons. Professor G. Wilke, Deputy Director of the MPI for Coal Research, assumes temporary charge of his duties. The Max Planck Society designates Professor Dr. Oskar E. Polansky as External Scientific Member of the Society. He works as a part-time Group Leader at our institute. The focus of his research work lies in organic photochemistry and theoretical chemistry.

1963

Inauguration of the "Special Unit".

1961

First cut of the spade for the construction of the institute's new building, known as the "Special Unit".

1958

Establishment of the Independent Department of Radiation Chemistry at the MPI for Coal Research.

1957

Professor Dr. Günther O. Schenck is appointed as Founding Director of the Independent Department of Radiation Chemistry at the MPI for Coal Research as well as Scientific Member of the Max Planck Society.