The group of Synergistic Organometallic Catalysis at the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion in Mülheim an der Ruhr is currently seeking a highly motivated
PhD candidate (m/f/d)
to work on the design and development of multifunctional organometallic systems using elementary building-blocks for C-H functionalization via Synergistic Redox Catalysis. More specifically, this project aims to design and develop synergistic redox systems using green energy as the promotor to form carbon-carbon and carbon-heteroatom bonds between two synthetically challenging reaction partners, with an emphasis on late-stage C-H functionalization.
The successful candidate will be integrated into an interdisciplinary and international group jointly between the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion and the Ruhr-University Bochum. The position is available starting as soon as possible, ideally before January 1st, 2020, for a total duration of three years. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
Candidates with the following attributes are preferred:
• A master degree in chemistry or a related subject.
• Excellent synthetic skills, including the handling of air-sensitive and thermally labile organometallic compounds.
• Experience with analytical methods such as multinuclear NMR, infrared, and UV-vis spectroscopy, X-ray diffractometry, and mass spectrometry.
• Knowledge in organic synthesis, kinetics, computational methods (DFT) and/or electrochemistry.
• Self-motivated personality with independent, target-oriented, and systematic working style. A High degree of creativity and flexibility as well as good collaborative skills.
• Excellent English-language proficiency (verbal and written), including the ability to write clearly and succinctly for publication in international peer-reviewed journals
The Max Planck Society explicitly encourages applications from women and qualified people with disabilities.
Please send your application documents, including a cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of your degree certificates, and letters of recommendation, to Dr. Werlé by E-mail (christophe.werle(at)cec.mpg.de) with the reference code “CW001” in the subject line until October 11th, 2019.
Dr. Christophe Werlé
Tel: +49 (0)208 306 3610
Max Planck Institute for Chemical Energy Conversion
45470 Mülheim an der Ruhr, Germany
Further information regarding the data protection for applicants can be found on our here.